Home

Friday, August 19, 2011

Big money, big money, no whammies!



Ah, "Press Your Luck." Of course, I watched this in re-runs on the Game Show network and I always use the "No whammies!" phrase now, while my peers look at me like I've got three heads. Well, in honor of me getting a job interview, I figured I'd make use of the "No whammies!" phrase here. After months and months of unsuccessful attempts at gainful employment, I have another job interview. Big money, big money! (Hell, any money for that matter!)

It's at Disc Replay, which won't pay much or offer benefits, but it's still MONEY. Ironically enough, Kevin works at another Disc Replay location, so if I got this job, we'd have to use one car to get to two different Disc Replay locations! ("Honey, can't you put in for a transfer to the closer location?") 

Ah, job history... when Kevin and I got engaged, I was employed full time at a daycare that shall not be named. This was the second daycare I had been employed at and I really loved my first daycare, so perhaps I exhibited slight (read MAJOR) bias in relation to all other daycare centers. I was used to wearing jeans and laying on cushions playing with babies while a custodian came in and cleaned after we all left for the day. At my second daycare job, I actually had to mop floors with dirty gray water and use a toothbrush to scrub base boards all while maintaining the care of five one-year-olds by myself. (I'm not a mom yet, so I wasn't used to this change in responsibilities.) 

Anyway, after working there for merely three months, I became very sick for 6 consecutive weeks. I had no choice but to attribute this to the daycare and chose to leave my position in order to recuperate, which took twice as long because I had to have surgery a couple of months later. Blah blah blah -gallbladder issues- blah blah blah. 

In the interim, I applied at many places, had a half a dozen interviews right away, and then everything just stopped. What does this mean? It means Emily can't pay for her own wedding! The stress of not having a job, school loans going into repayment, and medical bills creeping up my back created a sort of stand still in the wedding planning process. We did nothing for several months because we had no way of paying for anything. 

It wasn't until this summer that we attended Kevin's college friend's wedding, (which had a lot of DIY elements) that I finally said "I CAN DO THAT!" and the list making began! I made lists for everything! Things to buy, things to do, people to meet, places to shop, places to apply to, etc. So, after getting engaged in August of 2010 and starting off with vim and vigor, things lagged until around February 2011 til we were able to secure our location, and then again until July 2011 when we were finally able to start buying all the critical components of the wedding! 

It took a 6 week illness, surgery, and almost calling the wedding off (but that's another story) to finally be able to get things in full swing. And now, here we are with just two months and some change, and badda-bing-badda-boom-- oh, we still owe (cough, muffle, cough...LOTS OF MONEY, muffle...) to our wedding venue and caterer, but I have no fear (yeah, right) that it will be taken care of.

So, wish me luck for my interview! NO WHAMMIES! 

1 comment:

  1. Dude, Rob and I say "no whammies!" all the time. I will row that boat with you, sister!

    ReplyDelete