Home

Sunday, August 21, 2011

With a Little Help From My Friends

And by my friends, I do mean The Beatles. As I have been working on all my DIY projects, I have listened to my favorite Beatles album Abbey Road about seven times all the way through. I've also listened to all my dad's moldy LPs, including Let It Be, and St. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The music has been a welcome addition to the organized chaos of wedding planning. 

Today I finished working on all the table number cards and began working on the unity candle set. In July, Kevin and I went to Wal-mart and purchased identical candle holders; two for candle sticks, and one for the pillar candle. The smaller ones were $2.50 each and the one for the pillar candle was $5.00. Not too bad, seeing that unity candle sets are close to $60.00 everywhere else I've looked. That crazy expensive price includes the candles and the holders, which you have to buy separately.


 
We got the candle sticks and pillar candles at Michaels for about $4.00 total. When we got home, I tested everything and it all worked together perfectly. At the date of purchase, I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to decorate the candle holders or the candles themselves. I looked online and found some designs that I thought would be easy enough to tackle. 
Rhinestones and ribbon seemed to be a winning combination. So I found some lilac colored adhesive rhinestones at Michaels for $3.99 and bought two packs. Instead of taking the time to measure and mark where I wanted all the rhinestones to go, I just eyeballed it and starting making a vertical pattern, with three and then two. I'll put a picture of the finished product later. Here are some pictures of unity candles that inspired me to come up with a design for my own. 


The third one totally stole my candle holders! I swear, I had the candle holders before I ever saw this picture. Hopefully, I can make something unique and pretty that will sparkle and shine. I'll have more about the actual unity candle ceremony in upcoming posts.

Which Beatles album should I listen to next?


No comments:

Post a Comment